I’m going to be very open and honest with you. I am so nervous about having a second child. As I’ve gotten bigger during this pregnancy, life has become a lot harder with Hampton. He doesn’t understand “mommy is hurting right now” or “mommy doesn’t feel good.” All he sees is a big round stomach he can bounce off of. My family is probably sitting here reading this and laughing hysterically because I actually want four children (as long as we are able and it is in God’s plan, of course). So why am I so nervous about baby #2?
1. First off, SR was a bit of a surprise for us. We had originally planned to wait until around…now to start trying for baby #2 so that Hampton would be 2 years old. HA once again, God said, “Logan, you are not in control, I am.” I am so thankful for this sweet baby girl and I know once she is here, I woould’t have wanted to change a thing, because that’s how God works. His timing is perfect, always. Alas, I am an extreme planner and a little OCD when things don’t go according to plan, so this has been a big learning lesson for me.
2. How will I have time for BOTH of my children? So many people do this. I don’t know why I am even worried about time management with two kids, but I guess it’s because I haven’t done it yet. I know I will figure it out and I’m hoping my mommy instincts will kick in again and I will know exactly how to handle it. I am, after all their mother.
3. I’m scared that Hampton will take it really hard. He is my baby, y’all. He is only 17 months old. He is still very baby-like most of the time. He loves to be held and has been very clingy to me lately. He is always right up under me. I’m scared he will have a hard time adjusting to not being the only “baby” around here.
4. When will I sleep again? We just started sleeping through the night (consistently) about 5 months ago. We have been in a really good routine, and now we are about to start the newborn phase all over again. Back to square one we go! Yikes! And this time? with an 18 month old.
5. I’m terrified of giving birth. My friends and family who know me really well, know that I have extreme anxiety over all things needles. I’ve always hated going to the doctor and let’s just say, giving birth was a little traumatic for me. I did really well, but I was terrified. Now that I know what’s coming, I’m even more nervous about it.
Okay, so now that my mom is laughing and saying “And you want FOUR?” I will reiterate: I know I can do this. I know that God does not give us more than we can handle. I know that His plan is bigger and better than mine and I know that I will laugh at myself later on and think “why did I freak out?” Well, I freaked out over Hampton, too. It was something new that I hadn’t experienced before. This is new and it will be for a while, but I will figure it out and everything will turn out great.
What tips do you have for a mom going from 1 to 2 kids?